Friday, July 27, 2012

Where did my internship go? (Long post, coming atcha)

Today was the last day of my internship. Wow. That's so strange to say. This summer just slipped straight through my fingertips. 

It's weird to imagine that all the people and projects I have been on will continue to go on without me. I don't mean that in a "I'm the center of the universe" way, just that it's an odd feeling.

I've learned so much here... Not exactly the kinds of lessons you can put into lists. Or even into words.

In my exit interview I was asked if my experience here was what I expected, and I said I didn't know what I had expected. Looking back I think I had expectations I never really acknowledged, but are starting to become clear to me. I believed that this internship would help me to feel sure of what I want to do with my life, and that definitely is not what I'm walking away from this job with. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my job. I love what I did all summer and would do it again in a heartbeat. But I definitely had my days where I just wasn't so sure. I worry that I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by choosing art direction. My strength growing up was always my writing. I had an eye for art and shooting photography was one of my favorite things in the world, but when I think back to the beginning the first career I ever wanted for myself was to become an author. I was the one who won essay contests and had my papers read to the class, not the art kids I had always admired.
The truth is I don't have to choose. It's very possible to be successful at both art direction and copywriting. But eventually, I feel like I'll need to decide if I'm making my life more stressful by choosing to try and do what I wish I was better at, rather than helping myself excel at something that comes more naturally to me. I'm not trying to say I'm a terrible art director at all, I'm perfectly passable. But do I have the potential and ability to someday be the best? I don't know. Right now, I still won't be giving up. I'm young in the graphic design game and have so much more to learn before I can truly judge whether or not it's right for me. And truthfully it's what I love.

So for today, my vote is on perseverance. I choose to keep fighting to be better at it until the day I no longer find any joy in the work.
I know that this is a strange post to sum up my experience, but it's what was most prevalent on my mind all throughout my last day, and I felt I needed to capture the last day as it truly was.

I'll also never forget the amazing people I met and worked with. The other interns I worked are so driven, it's inspiring. And they're also some of the funniest people to be with. I'm happy I get to walk away from this with memories of trying to survive the intern project with Maddie, the hilarious brainstorming sessions with Taylor, an entire 45 minute Harry Potter conversation with Stacey, laughing at my horrible skill with an Exacto knife with Lindsey and literally everything that comes out of Nadia's mouth. An that's just the short list!
How did I luck out and get so many awesome coworkers?
Tomorrow morning the fam and I are off to Costa Rica so LOTS of packing to do tonight! Just a warning that the blog may not get used much while I'm away... Or maybe it will, no guarantees. I just plan to enjoy my time away. I do finally have the second part to my Story Behind the Scar series coming to you on Tuesday, so keep your eyes open for that :)
And closing with a picture of the War Room I spent FOREVER working on! I'd shar other angle of the room, but I'm not sure what I'm allowed to share and what I'm not.. So you get generic map wall for now. Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about other people's inspiring internship / career stories, and it's great that you made so many good memories. I'm chasing a few internship opportunities at the moment, and I'm definitely excited about them. :)

    xx
    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had gained much in your internship and that it will help you in future :) Have a nice trip xx

    Sneak peek into my life

    ReplyDelete